blacksdahistory.org

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Takoma Academy



Takoma Academy was founded in 1904 as part of the Washington Training Institute (now known as Washington Adventist University).  Takoma Academy became a separate institution as part of the Potomac Conference of Seventh-day Adventists in 1932.  In 1952 the school moved from the basement of Columbia Hall to its present location on Carroll Avenue in Takoma Park, Maryland.

Principal for 33 years (1947-1980), Dr. J.P. Laurence shaped the strength and direction of the present program and structure.  Affectionately known as “Prof,” Dr. Laurence guided the school’s growth from a small academy with less than a hundred students to the largest enrollment of any of the church’s secondary schools (more than six hundred students).

Takoma Academy is a nonresidential, coeducational secondary school operated by the Seventh-day Adventist Church and is one of 7,283 Adventist educational institutions around the world.  This includes 5,663 elementary, 1,472 secondary (high school), 42 Worker Training Schools, and 106 colleges and universities.

The physical plant includes a large chapel seating 550 students and one of the largest gymnasiums in the state of Maryland.  There are three well-equipped science rooms/laboratories, spacious classrooms, bookstore, cafeteria, music rehearsal hall, and auto mechanics shop.

The recreational facilities include complete locker rooms for men and women, and outdoor multipurpose playing field and a 400-meter running track.